Aging Hipsters Instagram

He's ok if he's not the fastest on the block, but that doesn't lead him to treat cycling like an adult kickball league as so many do. Cycling is important. It's ok to train for it. It's ok to want to be faster, because that's actually more fun than sucking completely. At the same time, being fast doesn't make you better than anyone else, and he knows that, too.


Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Mathy, Mathy, Mathy...

So it started.

I'm in grad school. It's pretty rad. For a historically crappy student, I enjoyed it.
Check the Stars and Bars on Nancy's Jersey- Respect.

 My class was on the third floor. I took the stairs. Walking up the stairs, I suddenly remembered the panic of riding the bus to freshman year at Glasgow High. I was pretty sure I was gonna be killed before 6th period. I remembered the panic my first day of college sitting in Professor Dilley's Philosophy 105 class waiting for his lecture to start. As I walked up the stairs to the classroom my heart rate must have been as high as it has in any of my interval workouts.

 one thought came to my head.

 "what the fuck was I thinking..."
required self portrait.
 As I sat in class, the first guy into the room, I watched the other students come in. I was clearly the oldest person in the class. A little weird. I'm the old guy in your college class. Ouch.

 A couple of young bucks I work with asked, "dude, did anyone think you were the professor?"

 Rat Bastards. we all laughed.
Monkey and Gwen...

Class was good. I was totally engaged. I was into it, I was lost, I was found. I left class totally stoked. Stoked and exhausted.  Done more Math problems in the last 24 hours than I have done in 20 years. I have some cracks in my foundation to fill, but I dig it. We'll see how the quiz goes next week...

 respect
 vanderbacon

6 comments:

Miss. Bea Havin said...

I think you will do great, your mind is at the right point to want to learn and you are mature enough to see the benefit of education. I'm proud of you for stepping out of your comfort zone and going through with it!!!

matt mccluskey said...

Gwen looks sad. Why?

gewilli said...

RTC (that's what we called em...) always asking questions (that seemed stupid and pointless to us college age kids) always dragging stuff out...

have fun with it man

gewilli said...

speedy comments -FUCKYEAH-

Jill said...

Can totally relate. In 2005, I returned to school in DC, at Catholic University (I worked there--tuition benefits) I was chipping away at my undergrad degree. 28 years old, in Freshman Philosophy (PHIL 201 at CUA), the only person in class at 1 p.m., *not* in her pajamas and Uggs sipping a Frappucino, hooked up to an iPod, wondering what was I *thinking?!* That class turned out to be one of the things that got me back into running and on track towards a new life, years later as it taught me to think for myself. You are doing a great thing!
-Jill (who was mistaken for the professor of freshman honors comp the next semester--)

henry_j said...

Dealing with the grad school math is like following somebody who throws a muddy roostertail in your face. Eventually you figure out a way how to pass.