Aging Hipsters Instagram

He's ok if he's not the fastest on the block, but that doesn't lead him to treat cycling like an adult kickball league as so many do. Cycling is important. It's ok to train for it. It's ok to want to be faster, because that's actually more fun than sucking completely. At the same time, being fast doesn't make you better than anyone else, and he knows that, too.


Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Failure to Launch

Dear Readers,

Today is going to be a super busy day. I knew that my only chance to ride and get my planned efforts in was to do it before work. When the alarm went off, I didn't really want to get out of bed. It was warm, and the dogs were out cold. That said, with the weight of the knowledge that I have ridden less this February, than any February in the last 8 years... I kitted up and hit the trainer.

This is where it kinda goes sideways.

I jump on the trainer and notice I can't  make the wheel turn. I play with the tension in the back, jump back on the bike. Still no deal. I follow the same routine like five times. Still no good. I figure no big, trainer is breaking, it's a few years old, surprised it's dying so soon, but what the hell. I head for the rollers, only to notice that my brake is rubbing. The trainer wheel does that if you don't open the brake.
I didn't open the brake.

Exasperated, I jump back on the bike and start warming up. I look down to see that my GPS isn't picking up my HR. I press buttons, I press the transmitter strap against my chest thinking that if I can get a little sweat on it, maybe it will start to pick up. No dice. Then I realize. It's not my GPS, it's Diane's. Shit.

Grab my GPS, and start off again. Finish up my warm up. Ipod jamming, start first effort, and just when I get to the point where my eyes roll back into my head, and I start drooling, the dogs in an avalanche of Labrador awesomeness come wrestling into the room, slamming into me and almost knock me off the bike.

It was at this point, I almost went back to bed.

But, I finish the effort,  and then start one more when, for no good reason my Ipod just stops. I pull it out of my jersey pocket, and it's locked up. Shaking my head, I start to whip it across the kitchen, when Diane comes around the corner and says, "good morning, want some coffee?"

"yes, yes I do" I replied as I finished my last pedal strokes and jumped off the trainer for the last time today...

lets hope the rest of the day goes a little smoother...

thanks for reading...

respect
fatmarc

1 comment:

1speed said...

Always seems to happen in the morning when your defenses are down, doesn't it? For the future - when your Ipod shuts down like that, recycle it. Turn it off and on again. It's just a little hard drive, so it occasionally needs to be restarted like any other.