Aging Hipsters Instagram

Monday, December 12, 2011

Promoter Legs

Promoter Legs. If you have ever promoted a race and tried to race your own event, you know what I'm talking about. Cross races don't happen by magic. They are put on by people who love the sport and who want to give back... People that love cross, often love racing cross. This is when things get crazy. When you promote, and then you want to race your own race! I have to admit my best MAC race, and frankly one of my best races ever was an 11th place in a muddy Granogue a couple of years back.  But I've also felt the other side of the sword...
Geler Votre Cul Race Director L-Web getting it done...

As much as I hoped for the good promoter legs this weekend, it didn't happen. Sadly, what was the last weekend of the Mid Atlantic Season, might gave been my worst legs of the season.

Fairhill: Geler Voltre Cul (Freeze Your ASS off Cross)...

I lined up on the grid, and was surprised to see Birner next to me. Good on him. I love to race the dude, because I think our strengths are generally complete opposites, which makes for some good racing.
Birner's massive elbow couldn't hold me back in this corner...
 The kind of racing I used to have with J.Dunn back in the B's... But I digresss, I got a good start sitting in pretty good. Legs felt empty and even a little crampy. Weird.  Two and a half laps in, I was actually sitting in a pretty good spot, in a group with Johan, Birner, Alex, Shirmer, Kruger, Hennessy and that ex-wrestler, world champ Wetzel Guy. I'm guessing we were 15thish... I moved to the front, smashed a stake and lost the group. Despite not losing that much time, I tired to get back to the group, and it just wasn't happening... Auer came back to me, and I said to him, "promoter legs ?"


He nodded his head. I suggested that we ride it in together. The course was so freakin' fun; why waste a good day to ride? He agreed.  We were soon joined by Benny da Jewlar, and we rode in the final laps... Silly Bike Racing, sometimes it means everything, sometime well, friends riding bikes together is much more important.

I was really proud of Diane who with Benny da Jewlars help, laid out the course for the weekend. Diane spent a lot time rolling the loop, and had a clear vision in her mind of how the course would flow. Tom, course maestro of Granogue, took great pleasure in watching her move stakes, and set out the course. He would chuckle as Diane would work a corner, and restake a section. Ben was critical in making sections extra techy and worked hard to help the loop come together. Good on Monkey, and Good on Ben... IMHO the course was rad. One of my all time favorites...

Limestone at the Kiln: MAC FINAL Race...

Despite walking around the house with knee high compression socks, drinking as much water as I could hold and getting to bed early. I woke up with really hurting legs. Hampstrings felt Hamstrung. Calves ached when I walked. I wasn't happy.

So I lined up on the second row. Got a good start. Fell off the lead group a bit on the second lap. Third Lap feeling pretty good, cornering hard. Dave Lowe cheers for me to corner hard. I lay it down hard. Totally bent my derailer hanger, bike sounded awful. The group I was riding in gets clear of me. I pass the pit despite the horrible noise my bike is making... This was a mistake... I realize it, bikes not shifting, I kinda realize that my drive train is about to blow up. I make it back to the pit, get my pit bike.. and I'm off... Spend the rest of the race chasing Dan Rapp. I tried my damnest, would close the gap, but never quite made it back to him... Rolled in with my best mac finish (on paper) of the year.... You know, with my legs feeling like they did, I'm not gonna complain one bit...

Three final thoughts on this race:
1. Barriers were about 13 inches high or so. I was able to bunny hop them every lap... felt so pro...

2. Yozell did an amazing job laying out a course that was 22ft wide the entire lap, but was really technically challenging,,, really fun course.. Thanks man. Such a blast...
3. The crowd on the back woods section went nuts when you went through. thanks for making an old midpack fatdude feel pro (2x in a race).
4. The best image of the weekend for me was Jimmy Rock and Anne Rock finishing the race together as Jimmy caught Mom right at the end of the lap, and they crossed the line together hands clasped.  Brought tears to my eyes... That was rad...
Okay... Anne and Jimmy not pictured... But I like this picture...


Thanks to Anthony and Cycling Captured for sending this one over....
Can't really believe the MAC has wrapped up another season, can't believe that the Mid Atlantic season is now over... What a great year...

thanks for reading...

Photos by  Jay Lazar, Dennisbike...

respect
fatmarc

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

what a great year indeed. we are lucky folks to have this bountiful cross scene.

Chris said...

Great weekend and a great season. Thanks for all of your hard work, was great to get to chat.. And I totally get the promoter legs....but I wouldn't have it any other way!

Miss. Bea Havin said...

Good season for both you and Monkey - don't be strangers over the winter!!

matt mccluskey said...

Thanks providing some entertainment for us mountain bikers as well.