Aging Hipsters Instagram

Monday, October 22, 2012

DCCX- Nachos make everything better...

Dear Reader,

You know, I should have known I was in trouble when messing around with my niece  I picked her up, and slammed her face into the tailgate of Craig's car. I should known I was bound to have some bad luck this  day...

My race was the  single speed race with over 55 riders, and what was by far the most stacked single speed field I have raced with. I was excited and feeling good. I got a good start, and kept the leaders in sight. Sean was trying to pound the field into submission off the gun. I was content to sit in on the tail-end of  the front group. Midway through the second lap things were starting to break into groups, I felt freaking rock star. I stood made it to the group in front of me, and half a lap later found myself closing in on a big group of 45+ers, and clear of my two single speed compatriots.  Then it happened : heading towards the GI track section, down one of the rollers, I bottomed out my rear wheel, and it went flat. I got to the pit, half lap away, and the tire was off the rim... Greg Wittwer helped me pit, and I was off chasing. Too many had gotten by, and while I still put in a super solid ride, I can't help feeling I left something on the table today....
BL.AH... Congrats to Auer for a hard fought Victory on this day...

As bad as my luck was, Diane's was worse.
Historically, Diane has had good rides at DCCX. Never good starting position, but good rides. This year, she was in the 3rd row (her best starting spot ever), and off quickly. Sadly, one of her compatriots was a little aggressive, bumped into her, and then into another, and then the two hit the deck. Monkey, locked it up and skidded to a start just avoiding getting taking down. As the entire field sped by, Monk put her nose to the grind stone and took off.  Sadly, on the cobbles,  she flatted a tubular. She limped into the pit, and without the best PMA. She took the pit bike and headed back out on course, where she picked up few spots, but was clearly disappointed. I was bummed for her...


Luckily, Craig brought in a great day for the Vanderbacons. Craig visting from the motherland was in the 35+ 3 race.  Craig got a good start rode into a nice group of 5. Slowly the group whittled down to two dudes on the final lap. The two of them came into the final stretch together, where Craig lost a close sprint.... It was a super solid ride, and it was really fun to watch...

Congrats to DCCX for another super fun event,  Monk and my bad races aside.

I will admit that the ride home was a little quiet. Followed by a heavy sigh. Then maybe some f-bombs. Then maybe a few minutes of silence, followed by "rat bastards..." followed by more silence...

When we hit Baltimore, we decided to get some nachos, and close out the day on a positive. Even better, we remembered that the great thing about cross is that next week, we get to do it again, and have better rides...

I am totally stoked with the unveiling of C3's annual  Halloween kit, of course inspired by La Vie Claire

Shea Rocking the halloween kit

or as Diane has called it, "the come on get happy suit" inspired by the Partridge Family

Great seeing so many teammates and friends today.

thanks for reading my bitching...

respect
vanderbacon

1 comment:

stickboybike said...

yeah, the new kits look good out there yesterday.